In 2023, we witnessed a chilling parade of cyber-attacks where compromised enterprise identities served as the proverbial unlocked door! Remember the 80-million-dollar MGM Resorts breach, orchestrated by Scattered Spider using stolen employee credentials? Or Lapsus$, the group that wreaked havoc on Nvidia, T-Mobile, and Okta, often bypassing security through credential theft or clever exploits continuing their adventures in 2023? These are just two stark examples of how attackers are evolving their arsenal and launching more sophisticated campaigns, rendering IGA, IAM, PAM, and MFA defenses increasingly porous.
The threats are getting more diverse and evolved – phishing and vishing scams luring employees into giving away precious keys, zero-day exploits like those targeting Microsoft Exchange servers granting backdoor access, and supply chain attacks like the MOVEit incidents, poisoning trust in entire software ecosystems. Even seemingly robust tools like MFA can be circumvented by sophisticated social engineering or vulnerabilities in specific implementations.
What We Need: A Layered Defense, Not a Single Wall
Amidst this grim landscape, there is much that the defense teams can do to strengthen their cyber resilience in the coming year. Organizations are not powerless. A layered defense, much like the military’s “defense-in-depth” concept, is key:
- Think like a spy, not a soldier: Deploy sophisticated cyber deception technology like Acalvio’s Honey Accounts and Honeytokens to lure and detect attackers early, divert, confuse, and slow them down – all while gathering valuable intelligence. Deception can change the landscape, observe and analyze the threats. This approach recommended by industry experts offers high-fidelity detection, giving defenders a very crucial head start. Deception Technology can detect known and even unknown (zero-day) identity threats.
- Educate employees: Continuous, regular awareness programs can turn employees into cyber sentinels, spotting phishing attempts and safeguarding sensitive information. Integrate deception into interactive employee training programs to encourage enhanced vigilance and awareness.
- Zero-trust, never rest: Implementing the principle of least privilege and continuously verifying trust ensures attackers gain minimal access. Acalvio’s deception solution aids in making the Zero-trust principles even more resilient and adaptive.
- Patch, monitor, repeat: Proactive patching, regular security assessments, and vigilant monitoring for suspicious activity close security gaps before adversaries exploit them. When patching or attack surface reduction is not always an easy or swift option, surround the assets with deception to detect potential exploit attempts early. Acalvio offers a rich palette of precision-engineered deceptions for various use cases.
- Go beyond MFA: Utilize strong MFA methods and add an extra dimension by deploying Acalvio’s AI-recommended Honey Accounts and Honeytokens.
By layering these defenses, we emulate the military’s defense-in-depth strategy, building multiple lines of fortifications. Acalvio’s cyber deception provides a strong new layer on top of the existing and necessary defenses that may already be in place. This approach recognizes that no single barrier is foolproof – but by creating multiple obstacles and tripwires, attackers face costly and time-consuming endeavors, significantly increasing the chances of early detection. Remember, cybersecurity is a constant race, not a static sprint. Embrace continuous improvement, adapting your defenses as threats evolve. Harness the power of cutting-edge solutions like cyber deception to fortify your security posture effectively.
As we bid farewell to 2023 and step into 2024, let’s prioritize strengthening layers of defense, where identities are protected, vigilance reigns, and cyber deception provides the vital edge. May the coming year be one with robust security and unwavering defense, empowering businesses to thrive in the face of ever-evolving threats.
Happy holidays and wish you the best of security in 2024!